May 06, 2016

Microsoft is breaking Windows 7 to push Windows 10

How is it possible that Microsoft's behaviour keeps getting worse?
Microsoft has made a change to an update for Windows 7 that can prevent certain systems from booting. While you might expect me to say, "good news, the software giant has fixed the problem", in fact what Microsoft has done is switch the update from "optional", to "recommended". So, on some systems, it will now install, and break Windows 7 automatically.
There is good news though, and that’s you can solve the problem and get your computer working again by (can you guess?) upgrading to Windows 10. Hooray!
[...]
As Microsoft explains:
After you install update 3133977 on a Windows 7 x64-based system that includes an ASUS-based main board, the system does not start, and it generates a Secure Boot error on the ASUS BIOS screen. This problem occurs because ASUS allowed the main board to enable the Secure Boot process even though Windows 7 does not support this feature.
Thankfully, ASUS has a solution to the problem, which you can read about here.
Microsoft also has a solution:
The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website [...]
We seem to be to reaching that point, where words truly do fail to really convey the true depth and stench of the shit that Microsoft is shovelling. Do they even remember what customers are? Or why customers might be important? Or are their heads so firmly buried in their stats and up their own asses that they really can't see anymore just how egregious their behaviour has become, or how much damage they're doing to the trust and goodwill that Windows customers used to have for their OS?

I'm not someone who normally allows hate any kind of space in my life; I do my best to love even people with whom I have disagreements, to see the perspective and humanity even of people who have behaved badly. You know: hate the sin, not the sinner?

But I'll admit it: I really am starting to hate Microsoft, along with everything they stand for, and everything they make and do. I don't even care anymore what Windows 10's feature are; I won't be switching. Not for free, and not for $120 (or $200). Not ever. If that means that I have to change the way I live my life, and game, and use technology, then that's what it means, but I have no intention of ever again supporting Microsoft with my business.